Upgrade SpeechExec Like a Boss!
Here’s my “insider” collection of tips and tricks for upgrading Philips SpeechExec.
1. Be aware of the latest version
As of this writing, the latest SpeechExec software version available is 10.x. You can always check the product support page under the “Software & Downloads” section on www.dictation.philips.com and see what latest versions are available.
And you can also read this blog post for more information: What version of SpeechExec do you have?
2. Understanding SpeechExec product types
Philips SpeechExec comes in;
- Standard Dictate: Basic dictation software for authors bundled with entry level dictation hardware
- Standard Transcribe: Basic transcription software for typists bundled with entry level transcription hardware
- Pro Dictate: Professional dictation software for authors
- Pro Transcribe: Professional transcription software for typists
- Enterprise: On premise workflow management with central administration, Citrix and terminal server support
If you want to know more about these solutions, please contact us
3. Understand your License Key
A license key will look something like: STBI-070-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
The first two letters indicate the product type of the software your license key is matched to. The possible combinations are;
- ST – Standard Transcribe
- SD – Standard Dictate
- PT – Pro Transcribe
- PD – Pro Dictate
The three numbers in the second block tell you what release version you are licensed for. So for example, STBI-070-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx would be Standard Transcribe version 7.0.
4. Match to your operating system
In a nutshell, the most important things you need to know are the following;
- If you have a Windows Operating System that is prior to Windows 7, the maximum version you should upgrade to is version 7.5 (Note, version 7.5 is no longer supported by Philips)
- If you have Windows 10, the minimum version you need to run is SpeechExec version 10
5. Know where to get downloads
The easiest way to find SpeechExec Standard is the support page for the Philips Pocket Memo Dictation and Transcription Kit. Under “Software and drivers” find the link to download what is appropriate for you.
Go to the SpeechExec Pro product page and find the link to check for your software upgrade under “Software and drivers”.
You will need your license key / product key to proceed:
Finding your product key
The product key is on a label or card inside the box.
If you have SpeechExec already installed on your PC, you can find the product key in SpeechExec by clicking Help › License information › Info on the menu bar.
If you do not have a product key, click here to find out how to upgrade to the latest version.
6. Updating vs. Upgrading
For the sake of this article, let’s say that “updating” is when you take your existing version and add patches to it that convert it to a new version. This is done from within SpeechExec using the “update feature”.
“Upgrading” is, if you need to move up to a major release such as going from version 7.x to 10.x. You will need to completely re-install the newer version.
For example, if you have version 7.0, you can use the “update feature” to get up to version 7.5, but if you need to run version 10.x for Windows 10 compatibility, you will need to purchase and install the software new instead of patches.
7. Simply Updating
Locate the “Updates” section under General Settings in your SpeechExec software and click the “Check Now” link.
The built in wizard will take over and guide you through any further steps. Once you have completed the process I recommend that you go back and check what version is installed to make sure you have achieved the result you were after.
Note: When you are prompted to close SpeechExec make sure you select File>Exit to close SpeechExec completely or the update will not complete.
8. Best Practices on UPGRADING!
We recommend the following;
- Back up your pending work.
- If possible, be prepared to temporary disable your anti-virus software during the installation process. Anti virus software can block required components of SpeechExec.
- Make sure you have administrative rights to the computer receiving the new installation.
- Have your license key ready, make a note of it separately.
- Have a copy of the new software ready.
- You do NOT need to un-install the previous version, but there is the advantage that by removing the previous version, you eliminate any chance of the new installation files conflicting with one of the old installation files. If you are going to un-install, you will need to revoke your license first.
- Locate the Autorun.exe file in the new software and run with administrator rights (right click and run as administrator) to start the installation process.
- The wizard will guild you through the process.
- Enter in your license key.
- Re-enable your anti-virus software.
9. Other Considerations
The Last Word on License Keys
Version 7.0 license keys will work for versions 7.0 straight through to version 8.8 without the need to purchase a new license.
License keys don’t mix at all. Pro, Standard, Dictate or Transcribe, every key is precisely matched. If you are having difficulty getting the software to accept your license key, check if you haven’t accidentally mismatched them.
Versions Prior to 7.0
If you have USB dongle/smartkey that validates your license, it is likely version 6 or prior. Since the latest is version 10.x, those are really old and no longer supported. If you have a version prior to 7.0, you will need to buy a new license.
If you are updating multiple installations in either a large user base or simply updating users slowly we have one piece of advice. Do all the SpeechExec Transcribe updates first, then do the SpeechExec Dictates.
Newer versions of Dictate may have features that an older version of Transcribe doesn’t have. If Dictate is trying to communicate to Transcribe something related to a new feature, Transcribe may experience difficulty and not function correctly.
10. Getting Help
Save your invoice
Not only is your invoice proof of ownership, it also helps Philips understand what your software purchase included and where you purchased it from.
Know your dealer (Place of purchase)
Check with your Philips Certified Reseller first, if they can help. They already know who you are and what you purchased. They may have helped you with your install and may be really happy to hear from you.
All Philips Certified Resellers undergo training from Philips in both installation and troubleshooting for all Philips dictation solutions. They also have direct access creating support tickets on your behalf.
If you do need to contact Philips here are some tips:
- If possible, include your purchase invoice with your communication. If not, have it ready in PDF form or something similar.
- Include a description of what the issue is. Philips needs to route you to whomever they think will get to you the fastest.
- Include your license key and, if you have any hardware, your serial number.
- Tell them where you bought it to get to the right support queue.
Completing the product registration upon install is especially helpful when you have any support related requests in regards to your software.
One example is people requesting a license revoke, because a computer dies. Philips cannot revoke licenses without proof of ownership in order to protect you from an unauthorized revoke request. If Philips can find you in the registration database, you can speed through this process.
Need to know more? Contact Us or leave a comment below.