Easy speech-to-text with Philips SpeechLive
The SpeechLive Desktop app is here and we are answering some questions to explain this exciting new feature addition to the dictation cloud Philips SpeechLive.
Before we dive into details, let’s cover some basics.
What is speech-to-text?
Speech-to-Text (STT) refers to the automatic transcription of voice into text. This can happen in real-time or in the background. When using real-time speech-to-text it is recommended that voice is recorded with a professional microphone connected to your PC to achieve most accurate speech recognition results. For automated speech recognition in the background voice can be recorded on a voice recorder or even smartphone, the recording is then uploaded to the SpeechLive cloud and sent to a speech-to-text engine for recognition to create a typed document.
What is Philips SpeechLive?
This cloud solution covers your dictation, transcription, speech-to-text and transcription service needs in one convenient solution.
- Dictate on your smartphone or use a voice recorder and manage your voice files and documents in SpeechLive.
- Collaborate with colleagues to quickly create, type and review documents.
- Use automated speech recognition instead of typing and to turn your voice into text before correction.
- Use the on-demand transcription service to receive formatted documents within 24 hours.
- And now – simply install the SpeechLive Desktop app for Windows, place your cursor in any text field, speak and convert your voice into text immediately.
How does the SpeechLive Desktop app work?
The primary goal of the SpeechLive Desktop app is to make speech-to-text universally usable within any program you might be using. Wherever you place the cursor into a text field, you can now turn what you say into text immediately. Think about it that way: Wherever you would normally type, you can now use speech-to-text.
- Need to type an Email? Place your cursor in the Email body, start the SpeechLive Desktop app and speak to make text appear.
- Want create a document in Word? Place the cursor and talk.
- Send a quick message in a chat tool like MS Teams. Why not dictate it like you would a text message on your phone?
- Do you have to update records in a CRM like Salesforce? Talk your notes instead of typing.
As these few examples outline the range of applications is limitless.
Bilingual? What about different languages?
The SpeechLive Desktop app supports 22 languages. You can simply switch the language in the app settings at any time. The languages are also supported when using automated speech recognition logged into SpeechLive in your browser or when dictating with the Philips SpeechLive app for iPhone and Android.
How can I add speech-to-text to my SpeechLive account?
The backbone of the SpeechLive Desktop app is Philips SpeechLive. You will need a SpeechLive subscription to be able to add the speech-to-text package. It’s a flat rate package with a fair use policy. If you fancy test drives, simply sign up for a free trial and check it out.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, please leave a comment and let us know!