Is AI the “meeting magician” your team needs to beat meeting overwhelm?
Following the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional office work arrangement has given way to a variety of alternates: remote, hybrid, split-week, and a slew of others. While this shift in where and how people work, offers many benefits (most notably, increased flexibility and control), it has come with some challenges as well.
Meeting pros and cons: Two sides of the same coin
Meeting overload is first and foremost among challenges, as many organizations struggle to balance team togetherness and collaboration fatigue. It’s true that remote meetings have revolutionized the way organizations operate by enabling access to a global talent pool, offering employees a better work-life balance, and fostering cohesion among geographically dispersed teammates. However, employees often suffer the impacts of excessive meetings, such as exhaustion, loss of valuable independent work time, and overbooking due to the increase in hours spent in meetings each week.
Since new remote and hybrid work models are here long-term, here are a few important ways artificial intelligence (AI) can be a powerful tool in helping organizations better manage meetings so employees feel that team collaboration delivers true added value and can increase their effectiveness.
How AI helps teams build a better meeting culture in the new era of remote/hybrid work:
- Increase meeting productivity | Recording and transcribing meetings are useful to share with team members who are not able to attend for various reasons, but AI takes voice solutions to new heights by creating summaries, notes, and follow-up tasks. Making the leap from data capture to analysis and action, empowers employees to get up to speed more quickly on meeting highlights and get outputs into the appropriate workstreams.
- Integrate with existing tools | With the plethora of tools, platforms, and applications already in use, the last thing most organizations want to do is add another. That’s why it’s important for virtual AI assistants to integrate with the existing technology stack – so team members can avoid disruption to their established routines. The ability to connect to Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, and other commonly used tools boosts their collaborative capabilities in a seamless way.
- Drive continuous improvement | Rather than being a singular or stand-alone event, AI turns meetings into continuous conversations that build over time. When participants can do things such as refer to specific moments or raise clarifying questions after further review of meeting material, the value of meetings and their outcomes is extended over time as projects progress.
- Prepare for the future | Even with less in-person interaction, AI assistants are helping organizations stay aligned, efficient, and productive by harnessing the combined potential of natural language processing and AI. This gives teams that use this burgeoning technology a competitive edge in a world that is moving faster than ever and where expectations (both internal and external) grow increasingly demanding.
- Maintain accuracy and consistency | The human factor in the workplace is irreplaceable, but human memories are admittedly imperfect. Having meetings captured digitally and easily searchable using keywords takes the guesswork out of referring to previous meeting content and keeps a consistent, documented record of information and action items.
But remember, AI is just part of the overall equation
Implementation of these emerging work models hinges on not just having the right technology, but also having the right protocols. There must be mutually agreed-upon, transparent parameters related to using AI to augment meetings and how information will be shared. The key to success, then? The powerful combination of human elements and strategy enhanced with digitally enabled innovation.
Dr. Gleb Tsipursky, a contributor to Forbes, had the opportunity to interview Gil Makleff, Co-Founder of Sembly AI, and Michael Weis, Director Business Development Global Retail of Speech Processing Solutions, about how artificial intelligence and Philips SmartMeeting can help organizations and employees to better manage meetings. Read More in this article.
Learn more about Philips SmartMeeting solutions in these articles :
Authority Magazine Interview : The Future of AI
Solving the Rubic’s cube of meeting productivity
4 ways how Smartmeeting is game changing
Zoom fatigue? Get this triple-shot of espresso for remote meetings
Questions? Leave us a comment and we’re happy to help!